Monday, July 28, 2008

Sunburst Blues...

I miss camp so much! =( I came back from being in the Redwoods for an entire week - no connection to the outside world - just lots of love, teens, drama, dancing, swimming, art making, hiking, heat rash, crying, hot hot days, starry nights, oh, and I saw a baby fox in the late night - ugh, so rad.

I've been volunteering as an HIV/AIDS Teen Camp Counselor the past few years and I <3 it! I plan on going every year. (Really, once you go, you're hooked) =) I want to share more but I just can't right now. Below is a poem that one of the campers wrote and some photos. The poem sums it up pretty well and the photos are aite but really, it doesn't do justice to the full experience of Camp Sunburst.

Poem by a Teen Camper at Camp Sunburst...

The Happiness of life is the Best thing anyone could ever have.
With the hope of joy, love, strength, power, positivity, and trust.
Some of us walk around with snobby attitudes, happy and smiles or just plain quiet.
Everyone in the World knows how hard it is to walk around with so much to think about.
Teens think people will look and judge them when really they just wanna support you and become friends. People with families living with HIV plus themselves need to take the sadness and hurt and turn it into fun. Life doesn't last forever so you shouldn't waste time being sad and depressed because there is so much more to offer. Here at Camp, everyone comes in different but leaves the same because we all relate to the same stories for our families.








































































2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This sounds like an absolutely amazing experience! I have just started volunteering with the SF Bar Association (blog coming soon) and am still in shock by how much I've learned about myself from people who have endured more than I could imagine. Very inspiring!

xoxo,
Carissa

tats said...

i like these photos a lot.