Monday, March 17, 2008

Forget about the Bamboo...

That's one of my favorite lines from Be Kind Rewind. Not my favorite Gondry film but entertaining nonetheless and always love the creativity.

The past few weeks I've been super sensitive and emotional. Jeez. It didn't help that I went to the opening of The Human Rights Watch International Film Festival and saw THE GREATEST SILENCE: RAPE IN THE CONGO by Lisa F. Jackson. No, it's not about the colonization of the Congo by the Belgians (that is mentioned, as is needed when dealing with present day Congo). It is about the raping of women and young girls in the Congo. I don't know what else to say right now - too much really. Here's the trailer. If you can, go and watch it, research it..if anything:



I also went to lunch with a man from Palestine. He is Palestinian and works in the arts. He told me of his life in the Middle East - specifically in Palestine/Israel. Again, I don't know how much I want to open up about our talks but I could not believe some of the things he told me. Actually, I believe it but it was hard to take in. I complain about security check points at the airport. Try security check points every where you go. Try to imagine having to go to another country b/c you do not have the right to use the airports where you live. I don't want to sound like a preacher. These are just my personal thoughts. Sometimes I need a check-in. Not that I only do it when I hear of others' suffering...anyways.

This week I'm excited to watch another film in the festival mentioned above - La Ciudad de los fotógrafos by By Sebastián Moreno Mardones. I couldn't find any previews or clips - sorry. I guess you'll just have to watch it. ;) Here's a photo:



There's another film in the festival that I will watch next week - THE UNFORESEEN by Laura Dunn. Here's the trailor:



Many more films to watch...coming up, Japanese films from the 1960's - gang related, super noir, and all things cool. Can't wait!

No comments: